CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, May 20, 2012

What Is In Your Relationship Agreement?

It got me thinking: would that really translate to real life? Could you really take something so intangible like love and put neat little parameters around it? Nothing sort of Prenup,you know, that legal agreement entered into before marriage but more like some relationship do’s and don’ts. Although this would somehow take some degree of spontaneity and naturalness away from the couple but writing down expectations can be cute in a way. For some people.

But not knowing better, Albert Einstein made one too. He wrote it when his marriage about to end and realizing there was no hope for their relationship on a romantic level, he proposed that they remain together based on the following conditions. To his wife he said:

    A. You will make sure

    • that my clothes and laundry are kept in good order;
    • that I will receive my three meals regularly in my room;
    • that my bedroom and study are kept neat, and especially that my desk is left for my use only.

    B. You will renounce all personal relations with me insofar as they are not completely necessary for social reasons. Specifically, You will forego

    • my sitting at home with you;
    • my going out or travelling with you.

    C.You will obey the following points in your relations with me

    • you will not expect any intimacy from me, nor will you reproach me in any way;
    • you will stop talking to me if I request it;
    • you will leave my bedroom or study immediately without protest if I request it.

    D. You will undertake not to belittle me in front of our children, either through words or behavior.

Apparently, they still divorced in 1919. Einstein isn’t genius at all when it comes to love situations.

So tell me, friends, do you think a Relationship Agreement is unrealistic in real life? Would it even work? What sorts of things would you include in your list? Do you think men and women would put different things at the top of their lists?

2 comments:

  1. this blog is really cool..I might stay for a while...CAN I???

    Booo!!! to einstein..
    so unromantic...

    i think its cute to have a relationship agreement, and also good..I would really love to know what my partner is expecting
    (einstein is really specific..gosh!)

    if i do have..
    my #1 would be..uhmm?
    be there when i need you..period

    wanna know the story?
    http://planetofclai.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe. You're a girl from my own heart. I like it 'be there when I need you..' exactly what I wanted. What we all women wanted!

    ReplyDelete