CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Happy Birthday, Sister!

My sister turned big 4-0 today and whether she admits it or not, we are the same in many ways. Although she sported longer hair these days, and is (argh!) slimmer, we are difficult to tell apart, like peas in a pod. We both have short frames, prominent jaws and chunky built. We are also both conformist, traditional in life views. I suppose that’s part of the reason why our handwriting are quite identical. Because, I am, like what Sharon Cuneta calls it, her second-rate, trying-hard copy cat. Back in the days, I just want to be like her. Oh, she sings very well. She’ll kill me for telling, but I remember her in a singing contest. That night, she came home with a movie ticket as a consolation prize!

Ate, from too many years ago with baby Mike


Psychology and child experts tell us constantly of the importance of the older sibling in a child’s life – how they teach the younger one about life and the world, how they set an example and how those sibling bonds only strengthen with age.

I agree 100 percent with that last assertion, though the hardness of time taught us to become self-contained and not too “clingy”, she lends stability and security that are usually seen on mothers, not sisters. Only, she cracks the corniest joke, and sneezes almost annoyingly. She wouldn’t stop until she wet her eyes.

But now, more than ever, I want her to be happy. I want her to fully believe in herself. I want her to see how beautiful she is. I want her to see herself as others see her. I want her to be proud of herself because she’s grown into one amazing woman, sister and friend.

Once a teacher, always a teacher!


Happy Birthday, Ate. Your little sister loves you dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment