CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 25, 2013

How I Relate Myself to Oscars

February is a lot of things to people. From Valentines to JS Prom to EDSA Revolution and of course, The Oscars. The Hollywood people's piece of heaven. This and thousands of other occasions man so cleverly concocted and invented, perhaps to ease the burden of daily living. I am not so much of a follower. But this is Oscar. Now, we all know that coming Tuesday everyone will be asking if you saw what Jennifer Lawrence was wearing or how cute Emma Stone and Andrew Garfield were on stage.

As much of a t-shirt and jeans wearing person as I am, there is some part of me that still want to look all dolled up, with curled hair set so beautiful on one side, in gown that will make me Amy Adams for a second. And where else can you see glamorous people in gowns and suits but in this much coveted event. And while it may not be 100% about fashion and style, how about the artistic side of it? Luckily this year offers a much better selection, and I can say with confidence that every film on this list is worth watching (though I have not seen all of them.)

I saw Life of Pi, and glad that I spent time for it. If there’s anything, it’s that this film justifies the existence of 3D. It is so visually ambitious and amazing. And the story, it is so profound but oh so beautifully related on screen.



The cameo appearance of Michelle Obama pretty much tells that Oscar has become a bit of a politics too. The red carpet, in the company of the rich and famous in their priceless Valentino or Dior. I know most about the Oscars it’s the way the movie awards have the power to influence filmmaking. This time of year it’s more and more difficult to tell if certain films are even meant for us, the audience, or if they should solely be shown to the Academy in exchange for little gold men.



Having said all these things, we can actually learn life’s lessons from the Oscar. And these lessons I summed up in 2:

    1.There is God, and there are little gods.
    2.I have seen them and it makes no sense.


No matter how rich, powerful, brilliant or influential a person is, that person cannot escape the fact that all the things in the world is temporary and short-lived. Fame and fortune will soon fade away and things will boil down to one thing: Character. It is defined by what you‘re willing to do when the spotlight has been turned off when the applause has died down, and no one is around to give you credit.

2 comments:

  1. I love watching the Oscars since I was a kid .The movies,songs and artists featured not just the gown,coat and ties are what I usually await. And once you watched one of them you become interested about the others as well. But then that is just me - a square eyed movie fanatic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah! did you read about Jennifer Lawrence after win interview? she is soo funny! Her being so natural is very charming. I hope our local awards ceremonies are as bongga as OScars no?

    ReplyDelete