CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Can't Help Growing Old




Have you heard the song, “Grow Old With you” by Adam Sandler? You know, the one from the movie The Wedding Singer. That sounds sort of cool, isn’t it? I wonder if it’s really like that. For someone who will not really mind seeing you wrinkled, saggy and lined? Is there really such kind of devotion that left you blind to thinning hair and bulging stomachs. Still find you adorable even if you have frequent tantrums and grumpiness because you are aching all over? That’s a tad incredible. And sounds a bit, well, out of this world, might I add. But then, knowing me, I’m in love with love. I can believe all matters of the heart.

I wanna make you smile when you’re sad
Carry you around when your arthritis is bad…

…Oh, All I wanna do is grow with you.


So you go from first kiss to your wedding day and, later, you discovered that things are a lot different. When you were single, there’s a bitter sweet feeling when you split up. And I suppose you could say that you missed him already seconds after he left. But now that you live under one roof, and found out that he snores like a cow, you wish you live world apart. Certainly, you know that things work differently sometimes.

I’ll get your medicine when your tummy aches
Build you a fire if the furnace breaks

…Oh, it could be so nice
Growing old with you.


But here’s an interesting thought: he sticks with you at the delivery room, cleans the house a bit when you don’t and shows genuine concern when you’re sick. I remember contacting UTI and had fever that reached 40 degrees, my husband went out of his way to bring me to the doctor and left only when I’m okay. And looking back over the last several years, he would always let me get inside the bus first before he does, takes the danger side when we’re in the street and hold my hands no matter how sticky and sweaty they sometimes are. He also takes pride at our little family. He would always mention how tall my eldest gets each day and the youngest, how she looks more her mother as the days pass.

Need You
Feed You
Even let you hold the remote control…

…Oh, All I wanna do is grow with you.


I can't think about the day that I will be away from him without getting a huge lump in my throat. I pray that we will grow into greater understanding of each other. And that there is no way that any gray hair, arthritic hands or drooping eyes bags steps in the way.

3 comments:

  1. I like that movie! Yes, it would be so nice to grow old with our special someone. And it is indeed hard to think of the day when one of us has to leave this world for good. So make good memories each day, dwell on the positives instead of the negatives. Especially on days when you want to strangle him, hehehe...

    By the way, how come you're not following my other blog lola m? Or don't you know about it yet? It's called In Review, hope you stop by and read my posts there some time. Kundi, tampo ako! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hala! I don't know you have other blog. In Review? nice name. Parang professional like the one you read from Time Magazine. let me search..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gladly I was able to watch the stage musical of The Wedding Singer in 2010. The play was a shortcut but essence-filled as you mentioned here. Growing old is inevitable but to grow old along with someone special makes life worth living even more. (http://unrivalledsolace.blogspot.com/2010/10/tickets-for-two.html)

    ReplyDelete